Running Performance Program
Whether you’re an elite runner or a novice, the Running Performance Program at NYU Langone can optimize your running performance and help prevent injury. Our interdisciplinary team assesses all aspects of your running, including: nutrition, running mechanics, strength and flexibility, footwear, orthotics, and susceptibility for injury. Located at NYU Langone Medical Center’s premier Sports Performance Center, the Program is based on the latest research on running performance and injury prevention. Our experienced team of physical therapists, exercise physiologists and registered dietitians collaborate with physicians to provide specific recommendations designed to help you achieve your running goals.
The assessment consists of four stations in which the runner receives one-on-one evaluations from our experts, using state-of-the-art sports performance technology and equipment. The stations are:
Running Video Analysis – HDV camcorders capture your running in high definition from the front, back, and side views. We use Dartfish™ motion analysis software to examine the specific characteristics of your running mechanics that affect performance.
Foot and Ankle Assessment – A series of tests and measurements reveal existing or potential mechanical deficiencies that may reduce running efficiency and performance. Recommendations on the appropriate running shoe and, if necessary, orthotics are provided.
Strength and Flexibility Assessment – The runner completes the Functional Movement Screen (FMS)™, a series of seven movement patterns designed to identify asymmetries and imbalances that correlate to increased risk of injury.
Nutrition Evaluation – We address the spectrum of nutritional needs, including in-season and off-season guidance, nutritional supplements, optimal nutrient timing, weight loss considerations, as well as pre-, concurrent, and post-race fueling.
Group Review of Running Video – Upon completion of the stations, the group of runners meets with our clinicians to review the running videos and receive initial recommendations.
Personalized Final Report
Each participant will receive a tailored, report that includes a detailed summary and analysis of results and customized recommendations. The report includes:
- Detailed assessments from all four stations
- Exercise program recommendations to address areas of improvement
- Cues for real-time training
- Internet link to your running video on Dartfish TV™
- Guidance on nutrition, footwear, and orthotics
- Follow-up appointment: meet with an exercise physiologist to fine-tune the runner’s program of exercises and real-time running cues
- Reevaluation: repeat the FMS™ and video analysis with an exercise physiologist to gauge progress and receive recommendations for further improvement
Our clinicians hold advanced degrees and specialty certifications that give them unique expertise in running performance. Team members are certified in the following specialties:
- Board Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics (CSSD) — registered dietitian attuned to the needs of the athlete
- Board Certified Specialist in Sports Physical Therapy (SCS) — expert on sports performance and injury prevention
- Board Certified Specialist in Orthopaedic Physical Therapy (OCS) — authority on biomechanics and movement science
- Functional Movement Systems Certified Professional (FMS) — specialist in assessing physical fitness and susceptibility for injury
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) — expert in designing exercise programs to match the goals of the athlete
- USA Track and Field Coach (USATF) — specialist in efficient running technique
Learn more about the Running Performance Program and associated fees by contacting us at 646.501.7109 or PerformanceCenter@nyumc.org.
The Sports Performance Center is located at The Center for Musculoskeletal Care, 333 East 38th Street (between First and Second Avenues), 5th floor, New York, NY 10016.